[Tfug] samba preliminaries

Paul Scott tfug@tfug.org
Sat Sep 14 23:44:01 2002

Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2002 at 17:03, Paul Scott  wrote:
>
> What does WinIPCFG or IPCONFIG /all show for the Winbox?

See below.

>>'ping janet' or 'smbclient -L janet'
>
> What about PING 192.168.0.x where 'x' is the final octet of the IP address
> for the Win98 box?

Well, I thought janet was 192.168.0.3 which is what my /etc/hosts was
set for and was the fixed IP I gave that box when booted to Linux.
First I thought it was the second NIC in that box which I have now
removed causing the problem.  Now I see that the DHCP in the Actiontec
has assigned 192.168.0.4 to that box.  I can ping the W98 box as
192.168.0.4 (of course).

Now I have to change my setup to work with the DHCP assignments.

I'll see how far I get before I report back,

Thanks,

Paul