[Tfug] samba preliminaries

Tony tfug@tfug.org
Sat Sep 14 16:36:03 2002

If you can't ping the 98 box, you can't ping the 98 box. I'd focus on
that first.

Anytime I've ever had a one-way problem with my home networking,
rebooting the Windows system in question has resolved the problem
(either XP at this box or 98 on the other).

If that doesn't work, you'll want to go over your network configurations
again.

Does the 98 box have a static IP? If she's not listed there already, you
may want to add janet to /etc/hosts (Linux box, of course).

I'm not sure what to make of the tcpdump.

Paul Scott wrote:
> I have installed samba here and am working on the configuration.  W98SE
> machine can ping this machine and can see the samba server on this
> machine (Debian Sarge/Sid).  This machine cannot even ping the W98SE
> machine.  Actiontec R1520SU is gateway.

[snip]