Re[2]: [Tfug] Sparc 5 server

Jerry S. tfug@tfug.org
Sun Sep 1 22:29:01 2002

Hello Goldarg,

Sunday, September 1, 2002, 8:27:27 PM, you wrote:
G> I've ran Net on a IPC and a IPX without problem and I like the smaller
G> 'lunchbox' sparcs.

  Yeppers the small "lunchbox" size is great for a compact machine,
  but if you are looking to expand it then IPC/IPX/Classic is not what
  I would recommend.

G> I don't know if Open supports 'be' cards but if it does you should be
G> able to get two of them for cheap
G> (since Sun dropped support for them after Solaris 2.6)  and have two
G> 100mb ethernet interfaces in
G>   a lunchbox sparc Without having to pay the high prices 'hme' cards go
G> for used.

  I don't know if xBSD supports the 'be' adapters, but I do know that
  sun dropped support for them in 2.6.  Personally I wouldn't
  recommend them as most folks eventually want to give Solaris or
  Linux a try and I don't know of a way in either to get 'be' support.
  The hme adapters are far superior and more widely supported.  You
  are right though, the hme adapters aren't cheap, even used.

G> I used a IPC for a server for a while without too many headaches other
G> than the 48mb ram limit on the IPC, it served a domain or two for
G> mail/web and had a leafnode site as well off of my home DSL before I got
G> bigger faster boxes to play with.

  I have run Solaris and Linux on IPC, IPX, SparcStation 2,
  SparcStation 10, SparcStation 5, SparcStation 20, Ultra Enterprise
  150 and Ultra 10 machines at different times.  I would highly
  recommend going with a "4m" (Sparc5/10/20) or "4u" (Ultra) machine.
  They are still supported in all versions of Solaris (even 9) and
  normally very stable/reliable machines.  The "4c" (IPC/IPX/Sparc2)
  machines are no longer supported by Solaris 8 or above.  For the
  price differnce, the 4m machines are a much better buy and not
  really much more expensive than the 4c machines.

  No matter what, Suns don't normally make very good workstations.
  They are great servers though, very reliable and stable, requiring
  very little maintenance overall.  The biggest drawback to older Suns
  is that they are all SCSI (no IDE) and tend to run hot.

G> Just to check, Sparc 5 or Ultra 5, There is a big difference.

  If you are looking more towards a workstation, you will definately
  want an Ultra machine, but I wouldn't recommend any sparc for a
  workstation.  Although I have an Ultra 10 440 that isn't too bad to
  work from.  It is a much better server though.  Intel/AMD boxes make
  much better workstations ultimately.

  If anyone is interested, I have a Sparc5/170MHz that would make an
  excellent Firewall/Web/DNS type server (has the onboard 10MB 'le'
  and 10/100MB 'hme' adapter along with an additional SCSI II card).
  There is nothing wrong with the machine, I just replaced it with an
  Ultra Enterprise 150 and Ultra 10 440, so I don't really need it any
  longer.  Just e-mail me off list about it and I can setup a time for
  you to check it out or answer any questions you might have.  Freshly
  loaded with Solaris 9 right now.

  jer

--
Best regards,