[Tfug] Sparc 5 server

Goldarg tfug@tfug.org
Sun Sep 1 20:27:02 2002

I've ran Net on a IPC and a IPX without problem and I like the smaller
'lunchbox' sparcs.

I don't know if Open supports 'be' cards but if it does you should be
able to get two of them for cheap
(since Sun dropped support for them after Solaris 2.6)  and have two
100mb ethernet interfaces in
  a lunchbox sparc Without having to pay the high prices 'hme' cards go
for used.

I used a IPC for a server for a while without too many headaches other
than the 48mb ram limit on the IPC, it served a domain or two for
mail/web and had a leafnode site as well off of my home DSL before I got
bigger faster boxes to play with.

Just to check, Sparc 5 or Ultra 5, There is a big difference.