[Tfug] Licensing for a forked project

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Thu Mar 15 15:11:06 MST 2018

On 2018-03-08 09:48, Garrett Weaver wrote:
> Thank you Marcia! It looks like I do need to contact the owner then to
> issue a license for my fork. Interstingly the GitHub terms of services
> does
> not grant other users a right to modify code, it just allows users to
> fork
> a repo. Watch out for that everyone.

This is one of the (many) reasons I hate Github. It has muddied the
difference between publicly available code and FLOSS code. Most people
incorrectly assume that if they upload their code to a public Github
repository that is is automatically open source. It is not, it's just
out in the public. If you want your code to be FLOSS, you need to
actually apply a license.

--
Raoul Snyman
+1 (520) 490-9743