[Tfug] Today's meeting

Garrett Weaver wagarrettweaver at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:31:28 MST 2016

It was a great meeting, really enjoyed it. I completely agree the latest
version of openScad is on backports
<https://packages.debian.org/testing/graphics/openscad>, so I don't see any
reason to create a backport for it. I'm hoping I can just install the
testing version. I'm messing something up on the installation though.
I added the backport line to my sources.list file
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main
$ sudo apt-get update
Did this guy
$ sudo apt-get install -t jessie-backports "openscad"
but I got this
$ openscad --version
OpenSCAD version 2014.03 (Not 2015.03)
And this
$ sudo apt-cache policy -t jessie-backports "openscad"
openscad:
  Installed: 2014.03+dfsg-1
  Candidate: 2014.03+dfsg-1
  Version table:
 *** 2014.03+dfsg-1 0
        500 http://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/debian/ jessie/main amd64
Packages
        500 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Unfortunately there's no troubleshooting section on the Debian backports
instructions page, so if things don't work the way it should, users are
left to guess. So I've run sudo apt-get upgrade, logged out and in again,
and changed the order of sources in my sources.list file (just in case that
matters), but saw not changes in output.