[Tfug] Space Night @ PLUG on Thurs Oct 8th (fwd)

der.hans TFUG at LuftHans.com
Mon Oct 5 14:38:57 MST 2015

moin moin,

this Thursday if you can make it up to the southern part of the valley.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree,
#  is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals.
#  We cause accidents.  -- Nathaniel Borenstein

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:29:53 -0700
From: PLUG Announcements <plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org>
To: plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Subject: Space Night @ PLUG on Thurs Oct 8th

PLUG is hosting a panel on Free Software, Open Standards and fun anecdotes for
space and space travel. The panel will be composed of people who have worked on
projects for NASA and JPL.

Bio: Austin is the Science Operations Lead for the Mastcam-Z multispectral
camera system on the upcoming Mars 2020 rover mission. He has developed and
currently oversees similar operations on both operating Mars rovers, Curiosity
and Opportunity. This role consists of interacting with the science team,
supervising instrument operations, software development and systems
administration. He currently manages about 50 mixed Ubuntu and CentOS machines
and maintains a number of software projects, some of which are open source.

Bio: Darrin has been developing software since the 80's, currently for
Limelight Networks, and previously in areas ranging from a NASA space mission
to finance to 3D modelling. Darrin has been developing for Linux and/or BSD
since the 90's, and exclusively since 2008.

Please feel free to reply to this message with any questions that you would
like the panel asked and we will try and work them in.

We go for food/Discussion afterward the meeting to BJs at the nearby mall.
---

The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People start
arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup and/or chat for a
while, arrive a little early.

Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd, which
is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.

See http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html for a map and
other info.

See you there,