[Tfug] HP620n jetdirect card useage

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:44:36 MST 2015

Oops, looks the lj6 predates the internal  ethernet card product (no EIO
port), so if I want network connectivity, I'll have to look for a different
solution.

Basically,  I just want to avoid the necessity of having to install special
software on each network machine (other than a driver for the laserjet) to
enable printer access.
On Jan 19, 2015 11:34 AM, "Steve McAllister" <brooklynkayak at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's been a long time since I had anything to do with printers, but a jet
direct card allows a printer to show up on the network, so anyone on the
network can print to it.
> Of course using it with a print server running cups would be a plus on a
network with multiple users.

> --
> http://adeleandstevie.tumblr.com/
>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:19 AM, John Karns <johnkarns at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have an old HP 6mp LaserJet that I acquired some years back from World
Care, which meets my needs for a printer. I would like to have some way of
connecting it to a network and I see that there are devices from HP called
Jetdirect cards (620n). These can be picked up cheaply on sites like eBay,
and connect via an rj45 cat4/5 cable.

>> Would a device such as that function as a stand-alone entity (be visible
on the network as an lj6 printer), if connected to a wifi router port? Or
is it necessary to have it connected to a network peer machine and have it
configured via CUPS or some other intermediary service running in order to
print.

>> Anybody here have experience doing this sort of thing? How about
printing from an office suite running on an Android device?