[Tfug] HP620n jetdirect card useage

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 09:19:59 MST 2015

I have an old HP 6mp LaserJet that I acquired some years back from World
Care, which meets my needs for a printer. I would like to have some way of
connecting it to a network and I see that there are devices from HP called
Jetdirect cards (620n). These can be picked up cheaply on sites like eBay,
and connect via an rj45 cat4/5 cable.

Would a device such as that function as a stand-alone entity (be visible on
the network as an lj6 printer), if connected to a wifi router port? Or is
it necessary to have it connected to a network peer machine and have it
configured via CUPS or some other intermediary service running in order to
print.

Anybody here have experience doing this sort of thing? How about printing
from an office suite running on an Android device?