[Tfug] Linux SIG of Tucson Computer Society

Hubert M Bath bathhm at laposadagv.net
Wed Feb 25 17:27:49 MST 2015

Thank you for including me, after all these years, in your list of
recipients for this post.  My failure to attend your meetings is due to
inability, rather than lack of interest or enthusiasm.  I have used, and
continue to use, Linux (primarily Ubuntu, and more recently variants which
avoid Gnome 3, or worse), exclusively (as contrasted with Windows) for
everything except tax preparation.  But late Sunday afternoon meetings,
with its return drive to Green Valley, in the dusk or dark, became
something for me increasingly to avoid.  For the past year, I have avoided
freeway driving totally.

I have been a resident of the La Posada retirement community for about
eight years, during which I have done what I have been able to do to
further the interests of Linux.  There a few, perhaps 3 or 4 residents who
have been persuaded to actually give Linux a try.  Most interestingly, the
guy in our Administration responsible for all technical matters -- a most
competent and knowledgeable person -- has been the most receptive.  I once
installed Lubuntu on about 20 of the Asus eeePC-X101 cheepie computers
that he set up to use as terminals for employees to enter personal data.
And his wife loves the Ubuntu she uses at home -- has used it for years,
and keeps coming back for updates.  So I guess that there has been a
significant demonstration to someone who counts that Linux works in a home
environment.

I am delighted that the SIG still exists and is active, and wish you all well.

Regards,  Hu Bath