[Tfug] Seeking general storage and CPU/mobo advice for updating my work machine

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Wed Apr 15 14:39:00 MST 2015

Hi,

Here is my advice (and yes, I am going to top-post instead of inline or
bottom post...).

Storage, I would look at Raid10 (lvm on top, or luks and lvm) with SSD
for the primary system storage.

240-250GB SSDs can be had for under $70 for OK drives, and about $100
for the higher end.  I would use two (or four) drives in raid10, and
yes, I mean raid10.  Linux raid10 will stripe the reads, and with the
low latency of SSDs, that works REALLY well.  SSD lifespan has been
GREATLY overblown as a big issue, field experience shows that it's not
an issue.

For bulk storage, I like HGST drives the best, and I would look at 3TB
or 4TB drives in Raid1 (if you don't need much space) or Raid6 if you
need a ton of space.  I don't consider Raid5 as viable any more due to
issues with drive failure during rebuild, etc.

For CPUs, I really base this more on memory.  With large amounts of
memory, I really prefer to have ECC memory.  AMD supports ECC on the FX
line (as long as the MB supports it).  Intel will only let you do ECC on
Xeon processors (workstation/server grade).  So will 8 3GHz+ modern
cores be enough for what your doing?

-Harry