[Tfug] mount troubles

erich erich1 at copper.net
Sun Sep 7 10:16:59 MST 2014

    I have an old PATA disk drive (Seagate ST360021A)
It was shelved when an old box that I had died.

    I now want to install a new operating system
on it (Gentoo). Gentoo takes a long time to build/
configure so I've been unmounting it @ the end of the
day, & starting where I left off from the previous.

   Unfortunately I'm having trouble remounting this
drive partition:

%>mount /dev/sda4 /mount/(point)

Returns:
wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock ... /dev/sda4

This is the 2nd time this has happened. The 1st time I
thought I made some mistake unmounting it, & started
all over again (Reformatting the partition, installing
the software & configuring it)

1) Is the disk drive too old. Should I ge a new one?

2) Is there some way to recover from the error? (The FBI
can do it.why can't we?)

Erich

PS: I've been thinking of using my EZ-connect USI-2535
    to see what I can see.

EWF