[Tfug] [tfug] Announcing runfs

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:22:06 MST 2014

Hey everyone,

In case anyone's interested, I've created an in-RAM filesystem called runfs
for storing temporary files (similar to what /run is used for).  The key
difference is that once the process that creates the files dies, runfs
automatically removes them.  You don't have to worry about old PID files
and sockets getting left around.

The source code is here:  https://github.com/jcnelson/runfs

It's built with a filesystem SDK I also wrote, called fskit.  It's code is
here:  https://github.com/jcnelson/fskit

Building and installing is super-simple:  just make and make install.

Any/all feedback welcome :)

-Jude

PS  This is the first of a few filesystems I intend to create.  Another one
I'm working on will replace udev, and unlike udev, it will filter inodes
based on the process that's asking and change their permissions.  This will
let e.g. the X server access /dev/dri and /dev/event/* without root or
setuid, and will block all other programs from accessing them.