[Tfug] OT: business-class laptops for sale (cheap!)

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Sun Nov 16 19:06:02 MST 2014

On 11/13/2014 09:11 AM, Matt Jacob wrote:
> Hey TFUG,
>
> I have two HP EliteBook 8530p laptops that I'm not using, and it seems
> like a shame to leave them sitting around, doing nothing. So, I thought
> I'd offer them up here for less than what I could sell them for on eBay,
> because the prospect of eBay fees, PayPal fees, shipping fees, and more
> PayPal fees doesn't particularly excite me. Here are the configurations:
>
> Laptop 1:
> * Intel Core 2 Duo 2.80 GHz processor
> * 4 GB memory
> * 160 GB hard drive
> * Windows Vista Business preinstalled
> * 1 power brick
> * Docking station
> * HP leather laptop bag
>
> Laptop 2:
> * Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz processor
> * 4 GB memory
> * 160 GB hard drive
> * Windows Vista Business *license*, but no OS installed
> * 2 power bricks
> * Docking station
> * HP leather laptop bag
>
> Price is $150 each or $250 for both.
>
> Throw an SSD in there and max out the RAM at 8 GB, and you've got a
> pretty decent little computer for well under $300.
>
> Matt

Hi, This looks interesting, but I'm an Audio production person, so disk
I/O speeds are important, since multiple (large) audio files can be
reading and writing to the drive at the same time.

I understand the HD Controller is a SATA II? (if so, I can always set up
raid0 on the drives used for audio read/write)

Could you tell me what the speeds of the included hard drives are?

Would there be a way to set up 3 separate hard drives on their own
controllers? I'm thinking that the system drive would be on the slowest
controller and the two drives dedicated to audio read/write would be on
the two fastest controllers (set up as raid0). I'm always willing to
deal with a slower system if I can get fast I/O rates on the production
drives.

Thanks,
Rocco