[Tfug] Re-learning website development

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Sat May 31 18:34:20 MST 2014

On May 28, 2014 9:09 AM, "Zack Williams" <zdwzdw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM, John Gruenenfelder
> <jetpackjohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I would like it to be dynamically generated and be more like a simple
> > CMS (Content Management System) where I can, via an admin page on that
site,
> > add new articles/pages to my own site without needing to manually edit
the
> > HTML source files.
>
> Is there a reason you want a dynamic generator?  Static site
> generators have come a long ways recently, and you can generally write
> in a minimal text-based format (Markdown, Textile, and others) then
> have it transform the pages into a site:
>
> http://staticsitegenerators.net
>
> Keep the whole thing in SCM, upload via rsync, and you don't have to
> mess with databases, speed issues, etc.
>
> If you do want a dynamic site, I'm a fan of Drupal as well.  It can do
> amazing things without you ever having to touch code.  Learn to use
> the drush shell tool to install/update/backup it, and you'll be in
> really good shape.
>
> - Zack

Hey hey,

Thanks for all the input.  I am of the opinion that the best way to learn
something is to have a project on which to use that knowledge.  for
example, I periodically work on my CPU simulator to attempt to keep up on
new developments with Java.

>From what I've done in the past, I suppose most of my experience is with
LAMP. But I wouldn't necessarily learn much new info if I used that again.
As for my motives, it is for both personal edification and because such
knowledge could be useful in a future job.

I guess an equally good question would be which would be more useful to
learn: the base technologies to do it myself or an existing framework that
would make the task faster. And, regardless, would it help to learn any of
the particulars of HTML5?

Claude, thanks for the Journal link. I'll be sure to read those.

--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max