[Tfug] Re-learning website development

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 08:35:27 MST 2014

Hard to reply since your only stated goal is to learn.  Why do you want to learn the newer stuff?  Is it for fun or for possible future vocation?

I've been programming in PHP - LAMP to be more specific for about 8 years.  Things have changed a lot.  In 2006 everything was scripting with a little OOP.  Today there is much more OOP, however most of the legacy code is scripts.

I think LAMP is the most widely used configuration for web development.  I think LAMP will be strong for at least 10 more years, probably a lot longer.

I would start by making some simple CRUD scripts, then learn CodeIgniter and how it works.  Take a lot of time to analyse  CI and get under the hood.  Learn about how they bootstrap... etc. Use that OOP and framework exposure roll your own framework.  Use your framework to build your website.  Once you have completed this process you should know PHP / MySql (MariaDB) rather well.

Ultimately you may want to specialize in a certain widely used PHP framework or one of the top CMS's - WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal.  I would suggest Drupal.  It is a CMS and framework rolled into one.   Really depends on your needs, goals, and how you want to market yourself.

Keith Smith