[Tfug] OT: Llatex/rubber solvents

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 20:13:27 MST 2014

Hi John,

[This is in my "sent" folder but doesn't appear to have made it
to the list -- perhaps today's power outage?]

On 3/2/2014 1:33 PM, John Karns wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2014 1:11 PM, "Bexley Hall"<bexley401 at yahoo.com>  wrote:

>> I buy acetone, MEK, spirits, etc. by the gallon so having it on hand
>> isn't a problem.
>
> Those solvents are most effective in dissolving urethane based substances,
> AFAIK. I'm not really knowledgeable with synthetic substances in general to
> give good advice, but I believe that synthetic rubbers are *prene, but no
> doubt this is not news to you.

No, thinking about chemistry essentially causes my brain to shut down.
Too much "rote memorization" when I was taught it.  I was never able to
deduce a pattern to the naming rules, etc. (ide, ite, ate, etc.)  So,
I tend to lump lots of things into very broad categories.  Kinda like
most people consider all wood to be "wood" (despite the differences
between the varieties).

So, my approach to "synthetics" mimics Earl Sinclair's reasoning...

Earl:     As you can see, I have separated all known dinosaur wisdom
           into three catagories: Animal. Vegetable. Rocks.
Robbie:   What about fire?
Earl:     Vegetable.
Charlene: What about water?
Earl:     Water is the opposite of fire, which we have previously
           established as a vegetable. What's the opposite of a
           vegetable? Fruit. So, water is a fruit. Fruit is not a
           vegetable, so it has to be either an animal or a rock.
           We know it's not an animal, therefore, fruit is a rock.
Charlene: Daddy, I asked you about water.

[Works for me!  :>]

> Googling synthetic rubber solvents brings
> up, among others:
>
> pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/je60029a035
>
> but I don't see any simple answer from the brief look I gave it.

<frown>  OK, I'll wade through it.  No doubt it is written for
*chemists* (or "material scientists") and not EE's... :<

>> Yes, but I've still got the "stalk" (stem?  shaft?) that has to
>> extend up through any "cover" (it's about 2 ft long).
>
> Yes, which is why the foil popped into my head - just punch the stem
> through it. Not a 100% seal, but much better than just leaving it
> uncovered; no doubt safer (as in fire hazard), and more eco-friendly too.

For the MEK, I suspect it won't noticeably affect evaporation rates.
Probably the same is true of the acetone.  Those things seem to
disappear *almost* as fast as you pour them out of the container!
(exaggeration.  OTOH, the "flux cleaner" I use for cleaning circuit
boards *does* evaporate as fast as you pour it!)

>> And, you don't want to leave anything like this indoors (noxious
>> vapors).  So, set it outside where it *will* see faster evaporation.
>
> Yes, covering the container will probably leave you with the dilemma of
> proper disposal afterward, or maybe just putting it aside for the next time.

Well, I can always uncover it and let it evaporate once I'm done
with it.  If I have a little mineral spirits left in a jar when
I'm done (usually, it all gets soaked up into the rags that I
use to clean things), I will often set it ablaze just to burn it
off.  No real way to "dump" that stuff otherwise.

[Disturbing to consider how much stuff undoubtedly makes its way
into local landfills... keeping ion mind that the water we *drink*
comes from the same "ground"!  :< ]

And, that reminds me... I forgot to bring the used motor oil to
the recycling center yesterday  :<  (WTF?  You can only recycle
on a monthly basis???)

I'll wade through the document you found.  And, maybe ask at
the hardware store to see what they come up with.  OTOH, I *am*
kind curious to see what a propane torch will do to it!  :>

Thx,
--don