[Tfug] OT: Llatex/rubber solvents

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 13:33:42 MST 2014

On Mar 2, 2014 1:11 PM, "Bexley Hall" <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>

> I buy acetone, MEK, spirits, etc. by the gallon so having it on hand
> isn't a problem.

Those solvents are most effective in dissolving urethane based substances,
AFAIK. I'm not really knowledgeable with synthetic substances in general to
give good advice, but I believe that synthetic rubbers are *prene, but no
doubt this is not news to you. Googling synthetic rubber solvents brings
up, among others:

pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/je60029a035

but I don't see any simple answer from the brief look I gave it.

> Yes, but I've still got the "stalk" (stem?  shaft?) that has to
> extend up through any "cover" (it's about 2 ft long).

Yes, which is why the foil popped into my head - just punch the stem
through it. Not a 100% seal, but much better than just leaving it
uncovered; no doubt safer (as in fire hazard), and more eco-friendly too.

> And, you don't want to leave anything like this indoors (noxious
> vapors).  So, set it outside where it *will* see faster evaporation.

Yes, covering the container will probably leave you with the dilemma of
proper disposal afterward, or maybe just putting it aside for the next time.

--
john