[Tfug] OT: Latex/rubber solvents e7y3y8ez

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 14:33:59 MST 2014

Hi,

On 3/2/2014 8:18 AM, Bender wrote:
> Look up the material safety data sheet or manufacturer technical
> reference to determine what the "rubber"-ized material and solvent is.

I'm pretty sure it's just "acrylic".  It is waterborne.  Cleanup
is with "warm soapy water".

But, that really only works while the paint is still liquid!

I.e., when I used the stirrer to mix the paint, I removed it
from the bucket and set it on a sheet of plastic (to keep the
paint from spreading onto the ground).  Then, went about painting
the roof.  Then, used the stirrer to homogenize the contents of
the next bucket.  etc.

Once done, the crud on the stirrer has essentially hardened and
"washing in warm water" is ineffective.  I'd have had to wash it
immediately after each use.  Kind of counterintuitive (clean your
tools BEFORE you're done with them??).

> Search engine this to find options.
>
> You might try heating the propeller with.a heat gun. Heat may melt or
> othewise disrupt the compound enough to allow manual removal. Use
> adequate ventilation.

That's an idea!  It would still be tedious as the stirrer is a
really bizarre shape.  This is similar:

<http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/20122/China_China_Hot_Paint_Mixer_Shaker_and_Stirrer20122241242303.jpg>

I could even risk a propane *torch* to see if I could expedite
the process!  (steel doesn't melt at those temperatures)

But, it wouldn't be effective for cleaning other types of tools.
E.g., a "roof/tar brush" or a "roller" (the latter being largely
disposable).

Being lazy, I'll try soaking in acetone or MEK for a day or two
(just to see if it is having any effect).  Then, I'll cook the sucker
and just remind myself only to use disposable tools with that
paint in the future!  :<

Thx,
--don