[Tfug] Copper Clad Aluminum CAT-5e wire outdoor/waterproof

Louis Taber ltaber at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:16:21 MST 2014

Hi All,

I purchased some Aurum CAT-5e wire off of eBay.  No mention of the Copper
Clad Aluminum in the description -- or on the box.  The only reason I
noticed it was I checked the resistance, looking to see if I had been
shorted, for example less than 500 feet.

The resistance measured 3 times what I was expecting.   300 Ohms for 500
feet end-to-end on all 8 conductors in series vs calculated for copper at
about 120 Ohms.

Has any one on the list used/purchased CCA intentionally or
unintentionally?  Any problems with it?  Data rate?  Electrical
connectivity at the terminations?  How out-of-spec is it for the data
communications spec?  I have no personal interest or plans at this time in
doing POE with it.

  - Louis

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161314178639