[Tfug] OT? Theft of service

Yan zardus at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 10:21:37 MST 2014

There was a presentation at Defcon a few years back about some cable modem
hacking, leveraging lots of security flaws in DOCSIS 2.0 protocol and
implementations. I don't remember how much control the guy was able to
exert (it was at least traffic sniffing, but maybe injection as well). If
you're interested, the talks (the one I saw and its apparent follow-up) are
up on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBtdZDah6iE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5B_vs0i3E

For cell phones (at least, GSM phones from ATT and T-mobile), the wireless
research lab here is constantly screwing up our cell phone service with
their fake base stations during experiments, so that's more than feasible.
Cell phone connections can be trivially MITMed, and any encryption on the
phone calls themselves is broken. CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) probably has
analogous attacks. The wireless lab has lots of fancy multi-thousand-dollar
equipment, but I believe these things can be built for a few hundred
nowadays. Some media attention is here:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/31/hacker-intercepts-phone-calls-with-homebuilt-1-500-imsi-catcher/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI-catcher

I would imagine DSL and phoneline would be considerably harder to MITM,
although there is evidence (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0911/S00040.htm)
that it's possible (or, was possible in 2009) if you're dedicated enough.
The pricetag listed there for the tech is $1000.

And, of course, wifi is a lost cause. If you pour some money into GPUs, you
can brute-force an arbitrary 8-character WPA password pretty fast (I
remember a figure of 8 minutes being thrown around, but can't currently
find the supporting literature). And that's not even taking into account
the various protocol vulnerabilities in WPS, WEP (which is, amazingly
enough, still used), and some WPA implementations.

I'm not sure about the rest. I was born too late to be a phreaker, so not
too sure about the POTS stuff. And breaking into her DirectTV line just
seems weird.

While much of it is technically possible, some of it is pricey. I don't
know if people would put together thousands of dollars of sophisticated
hacking hardware and then decide to save some pocket change by harassing
the poor lady down the street. I think the likely answer is that she is not
the target of a clandestine hacking operation.

- Yan