[Tfug] WD "green"

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 23:16:01 MST 2014

Hi Steve,

On 2/21/2014 10:39 PM, Steven Bowers wrote:
> Take a look at NAS4Free. IIRC it's developed by the same person
> who created FreeNAS. With BSD at it's core it should be more reliable
> than anything by Linksys.

Yes, I've just been hunting for suitable hardware on which
to run something like that, etc. (see recent thread on that subject).

The Linksys box is Linux based (well, something GPL'd so that probably
rules out the *BSD's).  But, obviously wasn't designed with "an
appliance" in mind (so, the code expects a user to be available to
"fix things" -- but there's no way of *talking* to that user, etc.).
The skimpy log doesn't even record when the box has crashed!

While its a cute little box, it has piss poor ventilation and is
tremendously underpowered (a 486, IIRC).  So, it's not even worth
digging through the sources to figure out what the problem is
likely to be!

<frown>