[Tfug] "Downgrading" ("underclocking?") processors

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 21:44:32 MST 2014

On 02/19/2014 09:29 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> My goal is to have a design that doesn't crap out because something
> blocked an intake (fur balls/dust bunnies clogging an input filter)
> or a fan gave up the ghost, etc.  (come home to find CPU has *melted*
> and everything it was expected to do in your absence didn't get done!)

Modern systems will throttle performance when things get too hot.
Something would have to screw up pretty badly for the machine to melt or
even damage itself.  Generally you'd just see performance go down.
When summer rolls around my nvidia GPU starts thermally throttling at 90
or 95 degrees Celsius.  I'll get you the exact number in a couple of
months. :(  My house is swamp cooled, and generally about the time my
machines starts outputting air almost hot enough to boil water I need to
find a beer and a cool place to drink it :)

--
-john

                 2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
         0b11000100 || !0b11000100
         0b11000100 || 0b00111011
                0b11111111
         255, that is the answer.