[Tfug] "Downgrading" ("underclocking?") processors

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 21:19:38 MST 2014

On 02/17/2014 12:11 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While lots of folks *upgrade* CPU's, does anyone have any
> experience with *downgrading* a CPU?
>
> I think I can replace the "active" cooling in some of the
> machines I've been looking at for NAS boxen with totally
> passive cooling *if* I "simply" downgrade the processor
> in those boxes.
>
> I'm interested in any experiences like this.

I switched one of my machines to lower TDP processor.  I lost a little
performance (not really enough to notice), and the system got maybe a
little quieter.  I've gotten bigger gains with higher efficiency fans,
and CPU coolers.  My mini-ITX system is pretty quite.  Its running a
single 120mm fan that is relatively quiet, and a large fanless heatsink.

--
-john

                 2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
         0b11000100 || !0b11000100
         0b11000100 || 0b00111011
                0b11111111
         255, that is the answer.