[Tfug] OT: World Care update

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 15:07:03 MST 2014

On 2/17/2014 10:24 AM, Zack Williams wrote:
> Thanks for the update Don!
>
> I usually dropped off older equipment at WC for recycling a few times
> each year - given the move, are they still allowing that?

As an afterthought... be *sure* to wipe any media before donating
any kit!  Despite what is *claimed* publicly, there are no measures
in place to ensure *all* media donated get wiped before being
scrapped/repurposed/resold!  They can claim that the "material
recycler" does this (are you sure?  are you sure ALL media go
to that recycler and aren't diverted along the way??).  But,
some media is reused in their "freebie" program (which is no
longer "free").  And, others are resold "as is".

E.g., there is a 12 drive SAS array for sale there, currently.
WC does not have the equipment to even *access* the drives let
alone the time to wipe a dozen drives in a *single* piece of
equipment.  Wanna bet whatever was on those drives when they were
donated *remains* on them when the box is resold??  *Never*
donate media -- to ANY organization/facility -- without wiping
the drives yourself!