[Tfug] PostgreSQL GUI front end/report generator/etc.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 13:08:26 MST 2014

Hi,

On 2/6/2014 8:02 AM, TR wrote:
> Take your pick from
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools
> Have not used anything except pgAdmin, so cannot make any recommendation.

Different sort of task set addressed by pgAdmin (I now use Navicat
for most of that).  I'm looking for a toolkit that will let me
(quickly/effortlessly) throw together user interfaces to the DB(s)
*served up* by PostgreSQL.

I.e., design a "form" that a user can fill in and "submit" to the
DBMS.  Or, a "query form" that can extract specific results from
the DB -- each without forcing the user to write SQL and know
how the tables are explicitly joined, etc.

> I take that back I have connected with libre/openoffice, but was not
> memorable .
> Should work for reporting.

I assume that would be the equivalent of using MS's Office product
(e.g., Access)?  I've not used OO in many MANY years (it was pretty
crude when I last looked into using it).

And, Access (et al.) mean you talk to the DB *via* that specific
client.  I was hoping for a more web-based interface.  So, a user
could sit down at damn near any workstation and access the system
without having to *hope* Access/OO/etc. is installed on that system.

Currently, it seems like the only approach is to build something
largely from scratch using any of the many SQL interface libraries.
It just seems like this *has* to have been done *SO* often, before,
that someone would have started to throw together a more coherent
approach to the task...

Thx,
--don