[Tfug] NAS again

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 19:14:23 MST 2014

Hi Leo,

On 2/3/2014 12:46 PM, Leo Przybylski wrote:
> I think you misunderstand. The Mini 5N unlike the Mini provides an

I followed the link that you sent.  The product there was not
the "Mini 5N".  Perhaps you meant to send some other URL?  :>

Searching for "Drobo 5N" turns up a $500 box (with no disks).

What does this have to offer over the HP product mentioned upthread?
(for $200 less)

> ethernet port. Although, Mini is in the name, it's not intended to be
> portable. I think it's a viable recommendation because of the
> low-power/quiet applications. Further, you can add SSDs if need be.

I reread my original post and don't see any emphasis on "low power"
*or* "low decibels".  Note that I mentioned (and have repeated numerous
times) that I *don't* leave drives spinning that aren't going to be
accessed (do you leave your car running in the driveway in anticipation
of that drive to the bank to check your safety deposit box?)

I can add an SSD to a non-proprietary solution as well.

Returning to my original post:
     "So, I'm looking for an idea for *small* boxes that I can
     repurpose as NAS devices.  IDE or SATA are OK in the drive
     sizes I have in mind.  I don't *need* a console -- if the
     box is reliable (some of that will obviously depend on my
     software choice)."
emphasis on that first sentence.  The reasons for "rolling my own"
I've enumerated in other posts, here (how will you recover files
from one of the drives in that box if the box dies or a drive
"goes flakey"?  Or, is that a problem that will be addressed
when/if it manifests?)

> True, it uses smaller drives, but I don't think that by any means is
> it intended to be portable.

The link you originally sent emphasized portability.  I commented
on portability only to the extent that it represents an alternative
approach (bring the device to the user instead of accessing it
remotely).

I'm not keen on 2.5" drives.  They are slower and tend to (IME) be
less robust than larger drives.

Look at what you are buying for whatever dollars you are spending
and sort out where the "value added" lies (to justify the cost).
I.e., the enclosure (box, power supply, processor) is worth << $20
(the price of a scrap PC).  Disks cost whatever they cost (assuming
you don't have spares on hand).  So, the difference between ~$20 and
$500 buys you ________ ?