[Tfug] NAS again

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 09:00:44 MST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, I'm looking for an idea for *small* boxes that I can repurpose
> as NAS devices.  IDE or SATA are OK in the drive sizes I have in mind.
> I don't *need* a console -- if the box is reliable (some of that will
> obviously depend on my software choice).

You might look at the "Western DIgital MyCloud" thread from a few
weeks back.  It's basically a hard disk enclosure that runs Debian on
an ARM CPU.   With aggressive disk spin down, you'd probably get close
to your desired power profile.

If you need an x86 CPU for some reason, you might look at Atom or
similar low power boards, but I tend to find that the best
price/capacity sweet spot is the Gen7 (AMD CPU) HP Microserver.  It's
much more involved than you describe (4x 3.5" bays), but still very
quiet/power efficient.

- Zack