[Tfug] Need help with kernel panic

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:13:56 MST 2014

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 05:49:36PM -0500, Jude Nelson wrote:
>Looks like init crashed.  Have you tried something like
>init=/lib/sysvinit/init on your kernel command line?  Or maybe init=/bin/sh?
>
>Jude

Hi Jude,

That was one of the first ideas I had, but it didn't do anything.  But... I
must have mistyped it or something because I tried it again, passing
init=/bin/sh to the kernel, and this time I did indeed get a shell prompt
after the initrd unlocked the LUKS volume.

With that, I manually brought up just enough of the system to get wired
network access and ran aptitude.  I made sure the handful of systemd bits all
had matching versions and were from testing and not experimental.  Network
down, unmount volumes, reboot...

And my system is back.  Huzzah!

Thanks for the nudge.  :)

(I still wish the kernel wouldn't kill the console buffer when a panic
finishes so one could page backwards, even a little, to see the root of the
problem...)

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org