[Tfug] Seeking advice: Language choice

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 04:42:27 MST 2014

I would say it depends on your background as a programmer in general
and the scope of your project. If you're a fan of dynamic languages, I
would recommend Python first of the three you just mentioned. And if
you are the type of person who likes to write things from scratch --
by which I mean you don't mind writing some boilerplate because you
feel it helps you know your code better, I would recommend web.py as a
lightweight framework (as compared with say, Django).

Speaking of which, this is a good point: you can choose any of the
above languages and they are all pretty feature complete and for any
small to medium sized web application or site -- it really doesn't
matter all that much. BUT - then you can choose a framework. And I
think the framework choice can be just as important as the language
choice -- it's hard to know how it will affect your development
process until you've gotten well into your project. You will be taking
on the mindset the authors of the framework had when they created it.
This can make it feel like you're not even using the language you
chose to use in the first place :) Of course, you can work around the
oddities of Someone Else's Abstraction, but I've been in situations
where writing something from scratch often seemed more palatable.

In summary, my recommendation is:

1. Pick the language you're most interested in learning or using
(Again, I recommend Python based on your list of choices)
2. Pick a minimalist framework if you must pick a framework at all
3. Take into consideration how this code will fit into your chosen web
server / request model
4. If the client side code is heavy, try to nail down exactly how it
should work ASAP, and again keep the framework-isms minimal in that
space too.

Hope this helps :)

Zack B