[Tfug] SATA dock

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Apr 30 23:41:04 MST 2014

On Tuesday 29 April 2014 20:49:30 Steve B wrote:
> I'm looking for a SATA dock. Has anyone purchased one from SWS and if so
> what are your comments? Any recommendations for a particular unit?

I picked up a Kingwin EZ-Dock from them a while back. I seem to remember it
didn't come with a power supply for 3.5" drives, just the USB and ESATA
cables, which was a pain. I picked up a 12V/2A wall-wort out of the used bin
at SWS and have been using that.

The docking slot was pretty sloppy, particularly with 2.5" drives, but sliding
it back and forth you finally get the drive to line up. USB is slow but SATA
seemed to run nice and fast. Kind of buggy in that you have to power off before
inserting/removing (and sometimes pull the ESATA cable) to get the drive to
init correctly, but once up I didn;t have any transfer problems.

Adrian