[Tfug] Remote networking communications and Internet gateways

Casey Townsend Casey.Townsend at tucsonaz.gov
Wed Apr 16 11:35:14 MST 2014

Wow, thanks Don for taking the time to help clarify the requirements. Here are my initial answers (and a few questions):

1) Let's say that a  "citizen journalist" would be someone with a bit of training to use a system that probably would be slightly more complicated than just a cell phone. It may be that they would need to use some sort of interface device. They would be supported by more technical folks who deploy the system in the area of need. It looks like Burning Man has a system that is being built and I am looking into that. I also wonder, did any of the Occupy people do anything like this? Too bad I don't know anyone in the military that could help based on their comms experience.

2) if determined to be feasible, crowd source funding would be attempted for this, but if there needs to be individual 'nodes' then each person/group would probably need to acquire one for  themselves, while repeaters, uplinks, towers, etc. could be part of the "organization's" contribution. Seems like Ham radio already does this for their (Licensed) community. I need to learn more about these capabilities...

3) I do not yet know what a realistic budget will be (or even if this is realistic to do). I'm still in the 'feasibility study' stage. Same with quantities. A 'pie-in-the-sky' dream would be to have a (limited) alternative to the existing commercial communication systems so that if cell towers or Internet access were not available in an area people could still communicate with each other, and those outside the affected area.

4) "Remote" is probably the wrong word to use. It should be defined to be areas where either there is no existing infrastructure (electrical power, cell coverage, WiFi) or where that infrastructure is not functioning/available. This could be urban areas, especially after a disaster, or truly remote rural areas. Initially, I think this should be developed for use in the US/Canada first, than possibly expanded to places such as Antarctica!

I'd love to see people come together to pre-position systems in high risk areas (tornado alley, coastal communities, earthquake zones)  that can be rapidly deployed after a disaster. (FEMA/Feds have been shown to be worse than useless in most cases.)

5) Video: Delayed upload (minutes, not hours) would be acceptable, as well as standard def rather than HiDef. Sounds like limited frame rates would probably also need to be used. Steaming video is best (just look at a stream of freeway traffic video versus a still shot), but often even a photograph is truly worth a 1,000 words. The goal is to help people on the ground to know how to help each other; where to go to help, or to get help, as well as to let the world know what is going on in an area that may have conventional comms inoperational or blacked out.  I don't want to rely on cell towers being up.

6) subscribe to a service? Aside from satellite internet (which I am still learning about) which probably would be an important part of this, that would obviously be a way to help fund this, but I am committed to open-source free software and community systems as much as possible.

I'm surprised someone isn't already offering portable "Disaster Communications Kits" that can be easily transported and setup where/when needed.

7) Thanks for pointing out the info about "intentional radiators." Do you know if there are exceptions for emergency use in limited areas? (It may not matter if people get fed up enough to just  go "anarchist" and just do it to get the job done to help save lives and property.) Also, a long time ago I remember reading about Pringles can antenna point to point systems. I haven't yet taken the time to google that, but my guess is that these were not licensed. Do you know if by meeting certain set specs stuff is considered in compliance or does each system type have to be individually certified?

8) Concurrent channels, etc.? Unknown at this time. This may circle back to the subscription question so that the system is not overloaded. Lot's of stuff to think about, but I have to start somewhere, and I really appreciate your time and help with this.

9)  "modulated laser carrier": I love out-of-the-box thinking! Thank you.

Casey

>>> Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> 4/16/2014 1:57 AM >>>
Hi Casey,

On 4/15/2014 6:26 PM, Casey Townsend wrote:
> I would like to build (and then put together a how-to manual, with
> specific hardware recommendations and setup/config cookbooks) a
> system that can be deployed remotely to allow citizen journalists to
> be able to communicate with each other and upload video in real time
> from remote, no cell phone, no WiFi areas. My goal is to have this be
> almost as simple for the users as using their cell phones, while
> requiring minimal training for the technical people to set this up
> for them. Does this already exist?

By "citizen journalist" you presumably intend "normal (non-technical)
folk" to be the primary *users*.  Will they also be the *owners*?
I.e., the budget for something for John Q Public -- even a highly
motivated JQP -- is likely to be a lot more constrained than, for
example, a bit of kit that he *borrows* from some organization.
Budget?  Quantities?

What do you mean by "remote"?
- not in "the studio"
- in an area unserved by conventional comms
- in a truly isolated/desolate area

By way of examples:
- filming a traffic accident is typically "not in the studio" yet could
   be accessed from a variety of infrastructure services
- parts of Sabino Canyon are within walking distance of "civilization"
   yet have no cell coverage; I imagine there are many "civilized"
   places (power, sanitation, etc.) that don't have cell phone
   coverage *or* high speed internet
- I suspect parts of the Grand Canyon have no comms, power, etc.

What *other* services do you expect to be available in the location?
Power?  Voice comms?  etc.  For example, even a low speed (or voice)
comms link has some value in setting up/configuring/troubleshooting
such a device.  Recall, there is someone on "the other end" that is
also involved.  Or, are you targeting something like "deployment on
the antarctic continent"?

By "real time", do you mean supporting a high (video) bandwidth
link?  So, conceivably, the video could be fed for "live"
distribution?   Or, could you tolerate some delay as stored
video is squeezed through a too-narrow pipe?  We looked at doing
something like this ~30+ years ago with the PTSN -- a really
*narrow* pipe at that time!

Are these folks expected to subscribe to a "service" for that
"remotable connectivity" (e.g., a satellite uplink)?

> I know 'google is my friend,' but I hope with your help to not have
> to wade through hundreds of lame search results. I do not have
> personal experience with satellite internet, wireless mesh networks,
> or even portable cell phone towers, so I am asking for you to share
> your experience and expertise with me to help ease my learning
> curve.

Any "intentional radiator" (i.e., anything that *can* transmit) is
going to require FCC compliance -- even if the medium allows for
unlicensed use.  There are also restrictions on what sorts of
transmissions you can push down particular bands.  E.g., some
will only allow voice, others data, etc.  You can't, for example,
take a "walkie talkie" and push video through it (even if you down
converted it to a much lower bandwidth).

> My initial survey shows that Ham radio may play an important part in
> this as well. Any recommendations on who to contact here in Tucson,
> or nationally, to help me with that too?

If you go the Ham route, the "citizen journalists" will need Ham
licenses -- and, probably will be a cut above the JQP level in terms
of expertise (by licensing necessity).

I'd step back and *quantify* your needs.  How much video?  What
sort of quality?  I.e., do you want to be able to transmit
indefinitely?  How many "channels" (concurrently active
"citizen journalist" transmissions)?  Cost?  Operating conditions
(e.g., does this need its own power source?  Can it run off an
inverter?  Car battery?  etc.)?

E.g., if you assume folks are going to be willing to spend $100
for this, you may find your other goals are meaningless (in that
price range).  OTOH, if money is no object but folks aren't
going to be technically proficient/licensed, then you're at a
similar loss.

If *I* was doing a one-off for myself, I would probably look into
a modulated laser carrier from the "remote" to some "base" that
could be located in a safe/convenient location.  And, hope to hell
my aiming/alignment algorithm was brass tacks (lest I fry some
"innocent's" retinas!).

Good luck!
--don

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org