[Tfug] PORTABLE hierarchy copy

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 13:41:37 MST 2014

Hi,

I often find myself copying large portions of a hierarchy
from one place to another.  Source and destination paths
may be local or remote mounts, different file system types,
different OS's, Endianness, etc.

Historically, I've opted for something along the lines of:
    cd <destination>
    (cd <source>; tar cpf - * ) | tar xpf -
as it seems to work regardless of tar(1) flavor, <source>,
<destination>, etc.

Is there a more "efficient" -- as defined in terms of keystrokes,
CPU cycles, network activity (for remote file systems), etc. -- way
of doing this that *doesn't* require building an executable for
each system?  (I run several flavors of Solaris Intel/SPARC, NetBSD,
and a variety of oddball OS's that you've probably not heard of so
a solution that only works for "certain" OS's is probably not gonna
happen)

Thx,
--don

==
Please respond to the public forum in which this message was
encountered.  Incoming PM at this address tends to end up
treated as spam (a hazard of publicly visible addresses!)