[Tfug] video scan disable

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 26 22:14:00 MST 2013

Hi Erich,

On 9/26/2013 9:01 PM, erich wrote:
> Typically,
>         If there is no activity at a monitor for about 7-mins. The
> screen ceases to be scanned by the machine, and it goes blank.
> This works for all the boxes that I have with the exception of
> one: my MythTV DVR machine.
>         1) What process controls that?
>         2) Can It be defeated?

I'm not clear as to what you are asking.  My best guess:

All of your machines (save one) automatically blank the monitor/screen
after some period of inactivity.  But, the MythTV box does not.

On those that *do*, does the monitor go into blanking/shutdown mode?
(usually indicated by the monitor's power indicator blinking)  Or,
does the monitor remain active but "displays a black picture"?

[I am trying to get at whether the VESA powerdown mode is being
invoked or if a "screensaver" is actively drawing black]

I'm *guessing* most of your machines display an X session (or
an xdm(1) login) normally?  Does the MythTV box, as well?  Or
are "text consoles" (think in terms of the days of DOS) used?