[Tfug] Lightweight IDS options/strategy/policy

Yan zardus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 01:18:33 MST 2013

Out of curiosity, if you use MAC addresses for access control in your
network (unless that was a simplified example), how do you prevent MAC
spoofing on your networks? I'd imagine you'd have to go with something like
802.1x, at least.

On a slightly different topic: the DNS communication method you
demonstrated is quite realistic, aside from being a good example of a
covert channel. There's a cool tool called iodine (
http://code.kryo.se/iodine/) that uses the technique to create an
IP-over-DNS tunnel. It's intended use is punching through WiFi paywalls.
Just figured I'd toss it out there in case someone was unaware of it and
interested.