[Tfug] Wayyyy OT: Oriental markets, et al.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 22:55:07 MST 2013

Hi Malcolm,

On 9/23/2013 9:33 PM, Malcolm wrote:
> ever try fresh bamboo shoots - the canned ones can't even compare

We use them in a dish that we have weekly.  Having to run
out and buy enough for that dish *EVERY* week would make
it a chore instead of a pleasure (its one of the few meals
we both *truly* enjoy/look forward to).

We've tried several different brands of canned bamboo shoots.
And, different "cuts".  We've also tried using other vegetables
for the texture we seek (bamboo shoots are good because they
don't impart much by way of their *own* flavor to the dish...
so, it's primarily texture).

We've now come up with -- what *we* think -- is the ideal
combination of ingredients, vendors, etc.  Unfortunately, it
means we are *hostage* to each of those!  :<  So, have to take
pains we have enough "stock on hand" to carry us through times
of "uncertain supply".