[Tfug] And another one down

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 08:20:30 MST 2013

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> If you really want to ship robustly, you put 2 inches of "foam"
>>> around the item on all sides as the outermost "shell".
>>

>> As a matter of fact, if you dig in the UPS tariff, it mentions the two
>> inch cushioning figure, I believe. You go to their Silverlake location
>> or a UPS store, they sell expandable polyurethane foam bags. not  cheap.
>> Not as good but guess you could roll your own with spray foam and
>> garbage bags.
>

> I use the "Crazy Stuff" foam.  Probably something cheaper out there
> but this is really convenient.  It doesn't appear to be exothermic.
> Or, at least not greatly so.

Just make sure the plastic is thick enough.  I received a fairly heavy
UPS battery module that was packed in this way once, but the plastic
had ripped open in the packing process as the device had somewhat
sharp corners.  The foam glued the packaging to the unit as well going
inside the vents and gumming up some of the device connectors.    It
was a total mess.    If you do this, I'd recommend pre-wrapping just
the device with plastic, then another layer of plastic to hold the
foam.

I'm a fan of the "wrap the entire thing with bubble wrap a few times"
method, which tends to work well for most rectangular items.

- Zack