[Tfug] And another one down

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 15:41:30 MST 2013

I, too, have seen lousy packaging of drives from Newegg, followed by
failures shortly after installation. If they're OEM, they're probably still
packaged in the same way. You have to order drives marked "retail" to get
them in the retail box.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Timothy D. Lenz <tlenz at vorgon.com> wrote:

> So, I've pretty much settled on the A7K2000. But from past experience,
> drives is one thing I don't like getting from Newegg. They have good prices
> and I end up getting most other parts there, except for fans which I have
> found better deals from places that specialize in computer modding. Last 2
> drives I got from Newegg where shipped UPS and UPS is not very good at
> handling stuff like this. The first one arrived looking like it had been
> dropped from high up and the drive was DOA. The box for the replacement
> that came was in even worse shape then the first. So I didn't both trying
> it. Just sent it back and bought from Mwave who used Fedex and the box
> arrived undamaged. Also, when Newegg sends drives, they just stick the
> drive in it's antistatic bag in the box with popcorn. The Mwave drives
> arrived in drive shipping boxes with the plastic end shells used by the
> factories as if they came direct from the factory.
>
> But the last drives I ordered from Newegg as been a few years ago. So has
> anyone bought any lately and are they packaging them properly now? Mwave as
> the same drive, but $15 more. I could use the $15, but I would prefer
> spending it on a properly packaged drive handled by gentler hands. Drive
> quality and long warranties don't mean much if they seem to just toss it
> out the plane as they fly over. The best warranty is the one you never need
> to use.
>
> On 9/10/2013 9:57 PM, Harry McGregor wrote:
>
>> On 9/10/13 8:21 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
>>
>>> So I think I'm down to 1 of these 2:
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/**Productcompare.aspx?Submit=**
>>> ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=**ppssHGSTenterprise&bop=And&**