[Tfug] And another one down

Timothy D. Lenz tlenz at vorgon.com
Mon Sep 9 23:50:47 MST 2013

On 9/9/2013 10:45 PM, Harry McGregor wrote:
> On 9/9/13 10:22 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
>>

>> On 9/9/2013 10:07 PM, Harry McGregor wrote:
>>> On 9/9/13 9:52 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

> HGST is what used to be Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, which
> before that was IBM's drive division.  HGST is now owned by WD, but
> operated as a separate company due to restrictions the Chinese
> government put on the merger.
>
> They are not all that expensive, you were probably looking at a 10K or
> 15K SAS drive for that range.
>
> Here is a 1TB ultrastar with 3 year warranty for $85:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145420
>>
>> I just noticed that WD has other drives now besides the
>> red/green/black/blue. Haven't looked into then much. But looking at
>> WD's site: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/
>>
>> I don't see an SAS line. Why black before red? I thought red was
>> designed for array use.
>
> The WD Xe line is SAS, and the WD Re line has some SAS drives.  The
> black vs red is more speed vs array optimized.  The Blacks are supported
> in consumer level arrays, and are 7200 RPM, the Reds are "intellipower"
> which means they are in the 5900 RPM range.

I did not know that. Though 5900 "might" be fast enough to record 1 or
two shows at the same time, often when new seasons start, you get 3 or 4
on at the same time to check out. With 5 ATSC tunners, VDR has maxed out
recording slots because of start/stop overlap. I'm sure I have had up to
4 recordings going at once.

I'm glad you mentioned the speed issue. I am aiming for a 1TB drive
which would end up replacing 2 of the seagate 500GB drives making up 1
side of both arrays. 1GB is proven to be plenty of space. Even when I
saved a bunch of shows for a month for my dad when he went on a month
vacations, I I still had room, though it came close. This puts the
search in a little cheaper drive range with more options to.

> Of course SAS will only help you if you have SAS Controllers, which most
> consumer level boards and small NAS appliances don't have.
>
> Here is a 2TB WD RE SAS drive:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236502

Had to google sas and no, I just have sata ports.