[Tfug] Wayyyy OT: Oriental markets, et al.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 16:20:04 MST 2013

Hi,

I'm looking for "oriental" markets here in town.  With
the closing of 17th Street Market (a pox on them!!  :> ),
I find myself struggling to find many staples -- esp at
"reasonable" prices.  Most notably, Bamboo Shoot *Strips*
(not "slices"), Dynasty brand (!) Hoisin sauce and a
good tea assortment.

Kimpo Market has a pretty limited selection.  About all
I buy there is sesame oil (very good!), in bulk.

G&L had, in the past, carried the bamboo shoots.  But,
they're reordering strategy defies understanding!  Shelves
will be bare for ages.  Then, they'll opt to order something
completely different instead of the items that had traditionally
filled those spots on the shelf!

Their tea selection is only slightly better than average.
I was able to purchase 5lbs of Oolong tea (bulk) recently
so that will hold me over for three months.  Though Oolong
is far from my favorite (Jasmine is much worse).

Our best supply of Hoisin sauce (a bottle yields two meals)
has been *Target*, surprisingly!  I suspect this will probably
soon be a "discontinued" offering, there (so we've been filling
the cupboard with the stuff!)

I *really* try hard NOT to buy mail order -- prefering to keep
my money in the local economy.  But, the choices available in
Tucson really seem pretty limited (witness my recent comments
re: "electronic parts suppliers").

Any pointers to stores worth visiting?  E.g., think about the tea
selection that 17th Street Market *used* to have (admirable!).
Something similar (esp at similar prices!) would be ideal.

[I doubt many folks would be aware of the "Bamboo Shoot" selection :> ]

Thx,
--don

P.S.  Paul, drop me a line if you read this...  Didn't get a chance
to chat with you earlier today!