[Tfug] OT: WorldCare Thrift Shop

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 21:07:10 MST 2013

On 9/30/2013 6:46 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> On 9/26/2013 6:51 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
>> Hi Christopher,
>>
>> On 9/26/2013 2:43 PM, Christopher Robbins wrote:
>>> Slightly OT...Does WorldCare still have computer gear?
>>
>> Yes.  Though if you are looking for something specific, it
>> might be best to inquire (here?) first.  Much is NOT in
>> the store but I think this list is monitored for that sort
>> of thing (if push comes to shove, I can pass along your
>> needs).
>
> Just an update...

> Anyway, this year, the plan is to try to sell things off
> "at reduced prices" (whatever that means) in lieu of having
> to weigh them *or* "recycle" them.  I think there are plans
> for some "courtyard sales" (think:  yard sale) RSN.  And,
> if you're looking for something in particular, you might
> want to make a specific inquiry.
>
> In general, if you can tinker, you'll probably get a better
> deal than someone who wants a turn-key product!  Or, if you're
> looking for "pulls", etc.

Just *another* update (sheesh!)

WorldCare currently operates out of the Keene Elementary School
on a lease from TUSD (?).  It's an old building with a fair bit
of "wear".

The municipal water system has been an ongoing source of problems.
I can recall at least three separate breaks in the water main
in the years they have occupied the building.  These are major
events -- bring out a backhoe and start digging, etc.  We're
talking about a *big* pipe -- not the 3/4" line that you have
feeding your individual residences!

Part of the lease agreement calls for WorldCare to bear the
costs of maintenance issues -- like fixing broken pipes!

Anyway, there was another big break a few weeks back.  This
causes the entire facility to lose its water supply -- no
drinking water, no swamp coolers, no toilets to flush, etc.

In the process of repairing this break (apparently, the pipe
had "rotted"), an assessment of the rest of the plumbing
system was made.

And, it was found to be on its last leg.  E.g., the main distribution
line was riddled with pinhole leaks.

I.e., the cost of replacing the plumbing in the building would
be outrageously expensive (anyone know a plumber who wants to
work for free??).

Rather than wait for this time-bomb to bite them in the ass,
the folks at WorldCare have decided to vacate the building.
Hopefully *before* incurring additional liabilities!

Unfortunately, they haven't yet found a new home.  So, all the
"stuff" in the building either has to get moved into RENTED
storage space (where it will sit collecting dust) *or* be
disposed of.

Which brings me to the point of my post:

Everything that can be shipped off to "relief" sites (e.g.,
medical clinics in Mexico, etc.) is getting pushed out the
door.  Computers/electronics don't really have "relief" sites.
So, the goal is to sell it all off and use the monies to
get started someplace else (I voted for Hawaii!  :> ).
It's SO much easier to move currency than it would be to move
500K - 1M lbs of "stuff"!

[As Carlin would say, once you get there, you start getting
MORE STUFF!]

I think the doors close at the Keene facility Nov 1.  I suspect
the place will be pretty empty by then!  No idea where or when
they'll reopen so if you think there's something you might want,
best advice is to act soon (I think Chuck has vacation plans
coming up soon -- he tends to handle most of the computer-ish
requests.  You could probably pester Pam but tell her "Tom"
sent you so she doesn't kill *me*!  :>  Folks there are really
rushing to get everything done in short order so please be
aware of the demands you make on their time...)