[Tfug] Network partitioning

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 22:07:41 MST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Harry McGregor <micros at osef.org> wrote:
> I am talking consumer grade routers, take a look at http://www.dd-wrt.com
>
> Asus makes a rather good line of wireless routers that support dd-wrt,
> and can do port based vlans, and routing.

OpenWRT is the source project that dd-wrt pulls a lot from. It has a
great package manager and the web interface isn't borderline archaic.
They've also integrated a lot of anti-bufferbloat code.

Also, Atheros ar7xxx based hardware is generally better than the
Broadcom stuff that's in most Asus devices. I've been putting in
Buffalo units (which happen to ship with dd-wrt by default) recently,
which work great.

Docs on OpenWRT's switch config: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network/switch

Given the number of backdoors found in commercial firmware, I'd highly
recommend everyone switch to something (anything!) but the default
firmware on their routers.

- Zack