[Tfug] Network partitioning

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 13:28:09 MST 2013

Hi Zack,

On 11/3/2013 3:10 PM, Zack Williams wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm essentially looking for a layer 1 solution.  I.e., user should
>> be able to decide "what can talk to what" using just their *eyes*
>> tracing wires.
>
> It sounds like what you want is a bunch of patch panels and small
> switches.  That plus color coding would be super-simple for nearly
> anyone to manage.

I don't think that works.

Boil it down to 4 wires:
- internal (corporate intranet)
- public ("guest" connections)
- shared (printers)
- exposed (The Internet, visible WWW service, etc.)

How do you get "internal" and "public" to talk to "shared"
without allowing them to talk to each other?  Ditto talking
to "exposed"?  And, prevent "exposed" from accessing "shared"?

What are you suggesting that I am failing to see?  :-(
(too early in the morning to be thinking about this stuff)

--don