[Tfug] Network partitioning

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 13:23:12 MST 2013

Hi Harry,

[Was thinking of you the other night as I pondered whether I could
risk another BBQ buger!  :> ]

On 11/3/2013 11:10 AM, Harry McGregor wrote:
> On 11/2/13 6:36 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:

>> I'm essentially looking for a layer 1 solution.  I.e., user should
>> be able to decide "what can talk to what" using just their *eyes*
>> tracing wires.  Layer 2 & 3 switching require "configuration"
>> which means "technological expertice", "maintenance console", etc.
>>
>> If I can't find a small/cheap switch or router that I can coax into
>> acting this way, I'll just conveniently ignore that issue and leave it
>> for someone else to pick up on (I have no desire to be "mowing lawns"
>> or, worse yet, "shoveling driveways" at this point in my career!  :> )
>
> Sounds like port based vlans are what you want.  As far as cheap goes, a
> lot of the low end routers that support dd-wrt support vlans.

By "low end routers", do you mean what "normal folk" call a
router or a *real* router?

E.g., I always thought things like the "wireless routers"
(WRT54G) were *switches* with a WLAN and radio interface.
(i.e., anything on the switch side could talk to anything else
on the switch side, etc.)

I'll have to look into this.

Thx,
--don