[Tfug] Network partitioning

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 18:36:17 MST 2013

Hi Robert,

On 11/2/2013 5:19 PM, Robert Hunter wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM, <vaca at grazeland.com> wrote:
>
>> You want to configure routing and ACLs on a router but think VLANs are too
>> confusing.  That's your call, but you're really talking about the same
>> level of knowledge for the most part.  You say you want something built for
>> this purpose, well there you go.  You will need a routing an ACL capable
>> router and a pile of generic switches or you will need one switch that can
>> do it all.  Either way you have to know which switch is on what LAN or what
>> ports are on each LAN.   Either solution works fine but some configuration
>> and knowledge will be needed in either case.
>>
>> The bottom line is this: You want something more complicated than a normal
>> home LAN so you are going to have to increase the level of involvement and
>> knowledge.
>
> I favor a layer two solution as well.  For one, it will better serve
> applications that depend on broadcast communication.

I'm essentially looking for a layer 1 solution.  I.e., user should
be able to decide "what can talk to what" using just their *eyes*
tracing wires.  Layer 2 & 3 switching require "configuration"
which means "technological expertice", "maintenance console", etc.

If I can't find a small/cheap switch or router that I can coax into
acting this way, I'll just conveniently ignore that issue and leave it
for someone else to pick up on (I have no desire to be "mowing lawns"
or, worse yet, "shoveling driveways" at this point in my career!  :> )

--don