[Tfug] "Opening" a physical ethernet connection

Kramer Lee krameremark1 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 07:33:21 MST 2013

Grounding blocks can protect against indirect lightning, so for any
network cable run outside the enclosed building or not in a lightning
protected area (somewhere where it might get a direct strike), it
should be physically unplugged when not in use, and brought back
inside too.  Also these grounding blocks work a lot better if shielded
ethernet cables are used because that will divert the bulk of the
lightning current in most cases.

Wireless is great for lightning protection of the main system when the
access point is in a lightning protected area, only you and the
wireless device are in any danger.  Using a wireless device in a
lightning protected area is best, as then, even if large voltages
penetrate the lightning protected area through the power lines, the
wireless device is isolated from the power lines.  Unless you are
sitting somewhere in a manner that negates the isolation.

I suppose this whole conversation started because Bexley would like a
more convenient way to unplug a wired Ethernet connection?  The RJ45
wears with mating/demating and that little detent clip keeps breaking
off.  Then it is GB ethernet so maybe we can't screw up the
transmission line by adding series SPDT reed relays.