[Tfug] Ethernet frame "immutables" wrt switch silicon

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Wed May 15 12:44:35 MST 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you disassemble a commercial switch, you'll see that the switch
> is implemented (typ) in several "identical" smaller bits of silicon.
> E.g., a 12 port switch may be three 4-port "chips" internally.

Depends on the topology and technology.  I popped the top of my 24-port
20Gbit/s infiniband switch when trying to determine which of the 2 power
supplies had died on it, and it had all the ports into one enormous chip.

But in general, multiple chips with a high speed interconnect is the more
conventional method.

- Zack