[Tfug] HDD size and RAID queries

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Wed May 8 07:27:22 MST 2013

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 4:49 AM, John Gruenenfelder <jetpackjohn at gmail.com>wrote:

> The argument to ditch RAID-5 in favor of RAID-6 is entirely based on
> probabilities and the likelyhood of encountering an unrecoverable error
> while
> rebuilding an array.  Am I actually in this realm with these drive sizes?

Generally that threshold is something in the 1-3TB disk size for SATA,
depending on the calculations used and how much risk you want to take
during a build/rebuild.

For long term reliability, I'd look at ZFS or similar filesystems that
checksum the entire on-disk data structure and can verify ("scrub") that
the data you have is actually intact.  I basically don't trust any data I
have that isn't checksummed in some manner (either on-disk, by version
control, or by backup software).

- Zack