[Tfug] "Opening" a physical ethernet connection

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 03:38:33 MST 2013

Hi,

I have a couple of different places where I want to be
able to selectively "open" ("break") an existing ethernet
connection.  I.e., effectively "unplug" a cable -- without
having to physically perform this action.

(and, do this "on the cheap")

If the cables were passing "DC", a simple (toggle) switch would
give me the functionality that I seek (i.e., a *relay* if I
wanted to do this "remotely").

[This, of course, is not practical!]

I *think* the easiest/cheapest way of doing this would
be to insert a small (network) switch in-line and just yank
the power to that device when I want to "open" the connection.

Is there some *other* device that is designed to "open" such
a connection, on demand?

Thx,
--don