[Tfug] Throttling cpu based on cpu temp?

Kramer Lee krameremark1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 22:35:31 MST 2013

If there is any program like i8kfangui for this laptop, it might work
to run the processor fan at a lower temperature.  i8kfangui works
great on some Dell laptops in windows, but I don't know how t get it
to work in LInux.  I find instructions on getting it to work in older
versions of Linux.
Actually that somewhat limits my use of Linux on some laptops because
they run hot if they get sustained loads.  One thing that gives it a
sustained load is Clonezilla.  (I think I saw some instances on blogs
of people talking about how their laptops would shut down in the
middle of a Clonezilla cloning session) Cloning a drive with that
program will test your laptop for shutting down, and if it shuts down
in the middle of a clone then it might write a sector with a bad CRC,
which sometimes makes the drive tricky to use or unusable.
PartedMagic seems to notice when it is using the processor heavily and
throttle back.  So I use PartedMagic to clone even though it takes a
lot more steps, when cloning using a laptop.  This won't be a problem
on most desktops.

Other things that I have seen use 100% processor for hours are  McAfee
virusScan fighting with McAfee mcshield.exe in Windows, and Firefox
running many flash sites at once, or getting messed up somehow in
Linux and Windows.